Are you ready for the big day? Birth Preparation Workshop
The Active Birth Antenatal Workshop is based on the principle that, when properly informed and prepared, the mother and her birth partner can profoundly affect the birth in the best possible way for a better outcome and a happier and healthier mother and baby. This gives the baby the best start in life.
This workshop has been developed using tools and studies from birth professionals, psychologists, scientists and most importantly, feedback from new parents. It is designed to give you exactly the kind of information and tools you need to get you through what is probably one of the most important events of your life.
Having taken this workshop you and your partner are more likely to become active participants in the birth. You will make more empowered choices along the way which will benefit you and your baby in the short and the long term.
‘We highly recommend this course – the partners will come out feeling more confident of their role on and leading up to the big day and mum-to-be will come out thinking ‘I can do this!’ Jeanine & Kieran Murphy, 1 Aug 2013
With the maternity hospitals in Ireland so busy and staffing levels so low, midwives are often left to care for several women at the same time. During birth, even with all the best intentions, without understanding what’s going on, the father can feel like a helpless bystander. The mother may need him to help and he may want to help but he doesn’t know what he can do in this situation. During this hands on practical workshop the father or birth partner will learn plenty of tools and things he/she can do to provide just the right kind of support to help the labour along and keep the mother as comfortable as possible both during and after the birth.
Birth can be unpredictable and things may happen that are completely out of our control. Anecdotal evidence suggests that regardless of how a birth goes or how things turn out, parents who get involved as active participants feel more empowered and are more satisfied with the outcome than those who do not.
Topics covered include
- How to get up to 28% extra space in your pelvic outlet for an easier healthier birth.
- The anatomy and physiology of birth including the cocktail of hormones and the wonder of the female pelvis in birth.
- Birth psychology, how the way in which your baby is born affects the whole of their life.
- Breathing and relaxation techniques to maximise your own pain relieving hormones and keep labour progressing,
- Labouring and birthing positions for most comfort and best outcome.
- Practical tips on stress reduction in the hospital environment
- Partner’s role and ideas for maximising their support
- Optimal foetal positioning before and during birth.
- Perineal care and how to minimise the chance of having an episiotomy.
- The benefits and risks of medical interventions and drugs during labour
- How to create a birth plan with realistic expectations
- How pregnancy yoga helps for an easier healthier birth
- How to navigate the hospital system and have good relationship with caregivers
- Massage techniques to assist labour, reduce pain and make the mother more comfortable
- Accupressure tecniques to help labour progress and ease pain
- The importance of the first hour after birth
- Breastfeeding tips for the early daze and nights
This one day Antenatal Workshop is facilitated by Prenatal Yoga Teacher Carmel O’Dwyer and a local Midwife. It is held on a Sunday every four to six weeks. This is a lovely way to meet other expectant parents and perhaps make some new friends. It’s also a nice way for you and your partner to have special time focussed on the baby.
Please contact YogaMums for more details and dates for our upcoming workshops.